The Dental Exam Process
The process consists of a few simple steps and generally doesn’t take more than an hour. The teeth cleaning is usually conducted by a dental hygienist, and then one of our dentists will come in for an evaluation.
- The physical exam. Before cleaning your teeth, your dental hygienist will conduct a thorough exam. They will check for conditions like gingivitis, periodontal disease, and enamel wear. If they don’t detect any major abnormalities, they will proceed with your dental cleaning.
- The removal of plaque and tartar. The first part of your dental cleaning consists of the removal of any tartar or plaque that has accumulated on your teeth since your last visit. You may hear a scraping noise – that is the sound of the dental tool your dental hygienist is using. A comprehensive personal dental routine will decrease the amount of plaque that builds up over time and make this stage take less time.
- Professional brushing. After removing the plaque from your teeth, your dental hygienist will brush your teeth with a medical-grade gritty toothpaste and motorized toothbrush.
- Flossing. No dental procedure would be complete without a round of flossing. Your dental hygienist will floss your teeth to remove any residual plaque or toothpaste left over from the cleaning.
- Possible extras. There are a few additional services that may be performed during your examination appointment. These extras include fluoride gel treatments and dental x-rays. If any of these services are required, you will be informed in advance by your dental hygienist.
The Importance of Regular Dental Cleanings
While it’s essential to keep up with a comprehensive dental hygiene routine, regular dental cleanings are key to maintaining your smile. Your dental routine can keep away the worst of plaque and tartar, but only professional dental cleanings can remove months’ worth of build-up. Frequent check-ups by a dentist will also reduce your risk of developing serious dental problems like periodontal disease, decay, and gingivitis. If left untreated, these conditions can damage your smile and warrant tooth removal.
What to Expect at Your Lakeside Dental Exam
At Lakeside Dental, the comfort and security of our patients is our top priority. We book out extra time for your dental exam, so each step of the procedure is completed correctly. We will also thoroughly explain the purpose of each step of the process so you can feel completely at ease. Lakeside also boasts an adorable therapy dog who will snuggle with you during your visit and calm your nerves. In addition, we have access to the latest dental technology, which means a more comfortable and efficient experience for you.