How to Identify a Dental Emergency
There are some dental conditions that require urgent attention, and some that can take a back seat. Here’s how to tell the difference.
- Toothache pain can range from mild to downright debilitating. If your discomfort is mild, try taking an over-the-counter pain reliever like ibuprofen or applying a cold compress to reduce swelling. However, if your pain is severe, it may be a sign of an underlying infection. Call your dentist right away and explain the situation.
Broken and Chipped Teeth
- If a piece of your tooth has been knocked loose by an auto accident or stray baseball, the urgency will depend on the severity of the damage. However, it’s generally best to see your dentist as soon as possible in the event of breakage. If the separated piece of tooth is available, try to bring it to your appointment. Until you can see your dentist, use orthodontic wax or sugar-free gum to protect your gums and mouth from the jagged edge of your broken tooth.
Missing Filling or Crown
- If your dental filling or crown has come loose, it’s best to collect it and let your dentist reattach it. Improper attachment can lead to infection and discomfort. See your dentist as soon as possible, but there’s no need to panic.
- A knocked-out tooth is one of the more serious dental emergencies and will require immediate care. If you find yourself in this situation, make sure to obtain the lost tooth and submerge it in milk or water to prevent further damage. Call your dentist immediately and apprise them of the accident. The faster you can get to the office, the more likely it is that your dentist will be able to reattach your lost tooth.
Emergency Care at Lakeside Dental
At Lakeside Dental, we understand that a dental emergency can be a harrowing experience. Our friendly staff is trained to respond to emergency phone calls with urgency and respect. After you explain your situation, one of our team members will be able to advise you on the best course of action. In some cases, we may be able to set you up with a same-day emergency dentist appointment. If your emergency can’t wait, you may even be able to receive walk-in care, but we do recommend calling the office to let them know you’re on your way. We can also provide emergency dental services to patients with no insurance, although you may be responsible for the resulting out-of-pocket costs.
Address Immediate Problems
- In most emergency dental situations, time is of the essence. Our walk-in emergency dental care will allow you to come in without an appointment.
Same-Day Dental Care
- Mucosal lesions and other conditions in the mouth can be caused by HIV/AIDS.
Preserving Oral Health
- Many dental problems (emergencies included) pose the risk of further damage like infection due to exposure or advanced tooth decay. Our emergency dental service not only takes aim at the immediate issue, but also at preserving your oral health as a whole
Pain-Free Emergency Care
- You don’t have to compromise comfort in an emergency situation. We pride ourselves on administering pain-free dental care even in emergency situations.
Lakeside Dental Offers Dental Care You Can Count On
We want to be there for you when you need us most. We are available for walk-in and same-day dental care so you can count on us no matter what the situation is. Save our number or visit us today!