What Is a Pediatric Dentist?
Your dental needs differ greatly from your child’s, so why should your treatment and care be the same?
A pediatric dentist oversees your child’s dental health from their infancy to well into their teenage years. While adults go through life with one set of teeth, children must lose their baby teeth and grow into their final set. Pediatric dentists must undergo special training to be certified to practice on children, which often involves an extra two years of a dental residency that specifically focuses on pediatric care. Dr. Century has extensive experience in pediatric dentistry, teaching area of dentistry for over 10 years in her hospital residency.
Pediatric Dental Services: An Overview
At Lakeside Dental, we provide a full range of professional pediatric services. If you’re unsure of the best dental care options for your child, our dentists, Dr. Century and Dr. Singla, are more than happy to advise you.
- Oral exams for infants. As your baby begins to grow its first set of teeth, it’s extremely important for a dentist to conduct regular check-ups. These exams include risk assessment for decay, cavities, and more.
- Habit counseling. Many babies and toddlers use pacifiers and thumb sucking as coping mechanisms. However, excessive use of these methods can actually cause harm to their oral health. Using positive reinforcement strategies, a pediatric dentist can ensure proper dental hygiene.
- Preventative dentistry. Every adult knows the importance of regular dental exams. Many parents have a tough time judging how much dental care their kids need. They know they want to prevent cavities, but they don’t always know the best way to do so. At Lakeside Dental, Dr. Century helps teach parents how to care for their children’s teeth properly. By getting your child into the habit of practicing good oral hygiene and sticking to a routine of regular dental visits, you’re setting them up for a lifetime of excellent oral health.
- Orthodontic treatments. As your adolescent begins to grow their final set of teeth, you may notice abnormalities in their bite, gaps, or crowding. In addition to their cosmetic appearance, these conditions can lead to serious oral concerns like decay and excessive enamel wear. With our expert orthodontic treatments like braces and aligners, your child can achieve a flawless, healthy smile.
- Injuries and emergencies. If your child enjoys athletic activities like sports, gymnastics, or even just playing outside, there’s a chance they could experience an emergency dental injury. Your pediatric dentist is uniquely qualified to treat your child’s dental injury with their growing body in mind.
The Benefits of Lakeside Pediatric Dental Care
Many adult dental issues stem from problems experienced in childhood or improper pediatric care, leading to a lifetime of pain and discomfort. At Lakeside Dental, we know that a trip to the dentist can be a nerve-wracking experience for your child. Our top priority is to make your child feel as comfortable and secure as possible during their visit. By easing their anxiety and treating them with respect, our team makes sure your child has the tools to build a strong foundation for their oral health. Learn why kids get upset when it isn’t their turn to come to see us!
Fun fact, Dr. Janet Century trained pediatric dentistry as a Dental School Professor!
Schedule a Pediatric Dental Appointment
With Lakeside Dental in North Barrington, you can rest assured that your child’s dental health is in good hands. To schedule an appointment, call our office or send us a message here.